Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Way To Go, Audience Guy. 10/29/13

I had a wonderful birthday and a great weekend of fun to celebrate.  It is humbling how many people took time to look out for me and make sure that it was a special day.  I said on the social media page that the love and care created a bubble that insulated me from too much sorrow.  It was true, what I said.  Until the weekend, and the one thing I saw. 

We attended the Texas Renaissance Festival, sort of a tradition for the past five years or so, and had several adults and two little ones.  Wearing costumes and makeup has always been an escape of mine.  I can paint and dress how I want to feel and usually, the feeling follows.  If I share a song or two in the meantime, don't be surprised.  I can always conjure up an imaginary audience to applaud my effort.  Kind of spooky, right?  Like I'm a modern-day Norma Desmond!  Anyway, it was fun to dress up and go be amongst others that enjoy the same sort of thing.  With that many adults, a few of us were able to sneak away and see the "not for kids" show.  Entitled "Sound and Fury", they use Shakespeare as a framework for double entendre and some downright naughty comedy.  The show was enjoyable, albeit a little lengthy.  But it was what happened as it started that threw my day of make-believe for a loop. 

The actors started out by explaining that they perform some improv with audience members.  They then searched for a guy and a girl to go on stage.  One of the actors would start some dialogue, stop abruptly in the middle and touch the guy or girl's shoulder to finish the phrase.  I am doing my best to recall the sentiment from this past weekend, if not the precise words:  Actor "I have found that I cannot live without....." (touches guy's shoulder)  Audience guy turns to audience girl and says "You".  Entire audience "awwwwwww".  Actor "And so, this being the situation, I have found that I need to say......."(touches guy's shoulder).  Audience guy turns to audience girl, kneels, opens a ring box and says "I can't live without you, I love you very much, will you marry me?"  Audience is on feet, cheering.

I cheered - for a moment until the brick hit me.  Love is out there, all around. But mine is gone.  I managed to hold back actual sobbing and just leak a few tears, raise my glass and whisper "I wish you more years than we had."  I do not wish to deny anybody of their joy and happiness.  Joy and happiness are the balancing weight to sorrow and despair.  Although I am sad and feel often alone, I wish the very best for those that are at the opposite end of the road.  Well done, audience guy.  I hope the two of you have many years, much love and don't have to say goodbye too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment