Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The True Story Behind "Thank God For Makeup". 10/1/13

I cried myself to sleep last night.  I felt sad from the moment I left school after the little show.  I had been named employee of the week, the choir did well on Saturday, and last night I had directed a successful, cute little show. My district boss thought that the little show idea was great, and praised it.  What could have been sad about a day like that? (Besides the obvious, that is...)  I wanted to share it.  I wanted to tell him.  I didn't want to text this person or call that person, I wanted to flop down in my recliner, beside his recliner, and tell him about the day and the evening. 

I tried telling the dogs.  They don't speak English.  They also don't actually take the time to process whether what you are telling them is an accomplishment or a shameful moment, they just jump on the love bandwagon, tails wagging away.  I didn't even try telling the cats, their level of  'don't care' surpasses the dog's love.

So I cried.  I thought of calling or messaging many people.  They're all there for me.  The overwhelming thought I had?  I will make them sad.  I mean, there's no sense in making another person sad on a boring Monday night, right?  So if you are one of my people, and you are thinking "I wish she had called me!"  I would have, and I thought about it.  But because I didn't, you didn't go to sleep sad.

Instead, I cried, slept a couple of hours, woke up, checked the phone, cried a little more, the got rudely awakened by the morning alarm.  Going through the morning routine is a bit of a consolation.  Another day has arrived, it's time to look it in the face.  I put on my makeup, and the  song "Tears of a Clown" kept running the my mind.  I know, it's about a breakup, most songs are.  But I started thinking about how I look with my makeup fresh in the morning.  It enhances the 'real me'.  No, it doesn't hide every scar and wrinkle...but it helps.  It opens my eyes.  It enriches my eyebrows and lips. It actually kind of.....magnifies the real me. (Good or bad....) With my makeup, I can still pretend for a bit that I'm in my forties, haha.  I also have a feeling, whether it's true or not, that my makeup hides my sadness.  When the mascara goes on, my eyes have their happy crinkle.  (Crinkle with some wrinkles.)  That can disguise the fact that I went to sleep crying because I felt so all alone.  Please don't tell me if that's not true.  Please allow me this small deception that helps me face each day.

After the makeup application this morning, I felt better.  I also wanted to put a cute status on my favorite social networking site.  "Cried myself to sleep last night but am much better this morning" did not win.  Neither did "Had really cool stuff happen yesterday, but nobody to tell".  Or there could have been "Aren't you glad I didn't call and make you sad last night?".  Instead, I started thinking about my beautiful makeup job   (the song was still there......"my smile is the makeup I wear since my breakup with youuuuuuuuu.......) and I simply wrote "Thank God for makeup".  Take it as you will. 

The real healing comes when I can finally have an hour or so to sit down and pour this all out through typing fingers.  I think that it because I know that nobody HAS to read it, like you would have to answer the phone.  You can not read it at all, stop half-way....your choice, just like writing it is my choice.   I'm a bit addicted to the writing right now, but it and the makeup serve good purposes for someone in my position.  They cover, yet magnify the real thing.  Thank you so much for listening, I hope you're not too sad now.  If you are, try some new eye-shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment