Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Accepting Change and Trying Not to Break Things 10/8/13

Roxy-cat fell asleep on my computer keyboard yesterday.  She pretty much owns the house, so that isn't a surprise.  This is a cat that will smack a 55-lb. dog in the face if he tries to take her place on the couch.  She regularly 'yells' at me if I stay gone too long - very loud, prolonged meowing.  I've read that she is supposedly vocalizing her love, but it sounds like yelling to me!  I think she feels better after she yells at me, like she's had her say, and it helped! She wasn't yelling yesterday, though, she was fast asleep on the keyboard.

The thing is, I wanted to use my computer at that time.  She was in my way.  So, I did what any good cat lady would do, I picked her up and put her down on the floor beside me!  Only.....Roxy didn't want to get up.  Is the keyboard of the computer nice and warm?  Does it massage?  Is she just obstinate?  Who knows, the mind of Roxy is mysterious.  Because she didn't want to get up, she held on to the keyboard with her claws.  The inevitable result?  She pulled a key right off.  Of course, anyone might say that I pulled the key off by so cruelly lifting the darling from her nap.  I noticed that the claw was caught, but the key popped off before I could let her go for relief. I wasn't too worried, I've put keys back on before.  They kind of snap back on, easy, right?

I put the key on.  I pushed.  No snap.  I looked at it - Oh!  It's not the 9, it's the 6, turn it the other way!  No snap.  Little white plastic pieces underneath keep slightly moving and not snapping.  It's broken.  The cat broke the computer key.  All because I insisted on pulling her off her spot, and she tried to hang on.  Hmmmmm......

I can identify with Roxy.  I get really comfortable with certain places, things, people.  I'm pretty sure that I'm the kid that cried when I was seven and my mom get a new car.  I don't know how I ever left for college....I think just to prove I could do it.  I still have favorite t-shirts, blankets, jewelry, mixing bowls.....get the idea?  I am huge on tradition and comfort.  I pride myself when I can change, move, toss out, rearrange - because I know that doing so is a total challenge to my personality.  I really prefer to hang on, just like Roxy.

Who handles change better?  The adventurous personality?  The rebel?  The military kid?  That would be a great study.  I have learned to handle it because there were other entities forcing the change.  I have never really wanted to leave any of my jobs.  It just happened.  I never really wanted to live so far away from family, it just happened.  And  I certainly never wanted to end up on my own at this age and stage, it just happened.  I'm hanging on with my claws like a stubborn cat right now.  I'm not cleaning out rooms in the house, because I want don't want to sell the house.  I do know that I have to, and I will....I just don't want to!!  (Funny note - we were going to sell it this spring anyway...)  So let's just hope I can turn and face change with a winning attitude and pull my claws back in and not break anything.  Maybe if I have a place where I can go and yell for a little while, I'll feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment