Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Next Section of Road 9/29/13

The weather is changing.  October will be here in a couple of days.  The kids at school will get to sing "October, Rocktober"!  The choir will scurry to learn all the holiday songs that they must know for concerts at the beginning of November.  Another group of second graders will do the cutie-pie Turkey Follies show.  The fourth graders will start work on their Holiday show.  I'll be busy.  But I'm scared that busy won't be enough.

I used to be so excited when October first arrived.  It meant my birthday was only twenty-three days away, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas!!  Zoom, the holiday season started rolling on October first and never stopped.  That's why I'm scared.  The beginning of Autumn through the chill of Christmas and the New Year is one long holiday.  Yes, certain dates are on the calendar for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's day....but all of us, commercial entities and families, take this season to celebrate.  Non-stop. Food. Decorations.  Parties.  Cards. Gifts.  Travel. Family. Costumes.  Even pet costumes, if you are in my family.  I'm scared that every single day between October first and the back-to-school time in January is going to be a very difficult section of the journey. 

The few cooler days that suggest Autumn in the deep South are invigorating.  "The high today is only going to be eighty-eight!!" You hear it all around.  Everyone switches from cool clothes in summer colors to cool clothes in Fall colors.  Any Autumn weekend where people wake up to cooler temps for a few hours of the day finds them running off to the farmer's market or an Oktoberfest in some community.  We grab at any hint of a break from the heat and call it Autumn.  Never mind how much you're going to sweat at that festival or game.  Fall has arrived!  I always felt the excitement just like everyone else.  But I'm starting to understand why holidays are huge mountains to be scaled on the road of grief.

I'm trying to prepare my mind and emotions.  That's what I do, that's how I've been handling things.  I remind myself that certain days/occasions/tasks are going to be more difficult.  I then carry on through those things by allowing the memories and thoughts, giving them a minute and trying to move on.  I carry tissues in case I don't move on too quickly.  I surround myself with people.  I go different places.  I have started to do different things when home alone.   He used to have the television on during every waking hour.  I choose music.  I'm kind of tweaking life to sidestep sadness.  I don't think it's a cop out, because the sadness still gets in there a lot of the time.

I also have a lot of help in handling things. My beloved girls will be home for the holidays, and they are the best medicine for anything, as well as the ones that share my feelings.  Besides being a good friend, Meiling is the one that checks on me daily and watches for any sign that I need time, an ear, a shoulder, or Mexican food.  Thank you my friend for being such a good "keeper" to me and my zoo, that's why my mom won't let you move away.  Other friends, at work and far away, call and message all the time.  That is still important.  I love it.  Family is forever there.  Mom is always there.  Thank you.  And how precious is it that nephew Zach is flying in for Thanksgiving week?  Just the right tweak can make anticipation not completely sad.

In spite of all the help, I still must travel the holiday season part of the road.  I have read suggestions "just skip Christmas", "celebrate at a hotel", "light a candle for memory".....many ways that people in the same situation have chosen to travel their difficult stretch of the road.  But will any of that change my feelings and memories?  How will I not think, on my birthday, of him giving me the beautiful diamond band last year, and saying "Well, you are fifty, after all."?  How will I not think of him not being here most Thanksgivings, but always getting the turkey leg when he was?  How will I not remember how proud he was of the custom-sized nylon straps he made at the office and brought home to hold the Christmas tree box closed?  We had a life together for twenty-eight years.  It's impossible not to think! 

I will allow the memories.  I will try to move on.  If I can't, I will cry for a while, then move on.  I will appreciate all the family and friends that are there for me.  After the holidays are over, I'll probably go on that site and write my own suggestions for 'surviving the first holiday season without a loved one'.  But I will know that every road has different obstacles.  I'm just preparing for mine.  Since October arrives in two days, I have to put on my helmet and hold on to the rails. Walk with me, cheer me on, give me a cup of water.....the trek has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment