Friday, February 28, 2014

Princess manners or; Lessons from my Mom 2/28/14

I had a 'princess tea party' with a four year old last night.  She was adorable.  I think it was an excuse to con me out of a cookie and some ice cream, but we had fun.  Real sweet tea in the teapot, Disney princess cups, the works.  She asked the cutest question along the way:  "Do princesses always have to use their manners?" I answered very thoughtfully (this not being my child.....) "Of course they do!  But every now and then, a princess might be hanging out with her other princess girl friend and they might not need quite as many manners."  Answer accepted.  A few minutes later, when she said something about dog poop, I surmised that I was now a princess girl friend and the tea party was over.

She made me think of all the wisdom that women give their little princesses all through life. Some is fun, some very serious. I made a little list, just to honor all the fun, loving and very important things I learned from my mom....and her mom, her aunt, and others along the way!

A few of the royal rules:

1.       “No” can be used as a complete sentence.  Often.
2.       When nobody else gives you flowers for a while, buy them for yourself
3.       If I set foot in the ocean, every sailfish, grouper, whale, salmon, ray, octopus, turtle, dolphin, hippo, shark, and anything else out there will come bite my toes.
4.       Any creature that doesn't live in the ocean is welcome in my house. (Except big snakes.)
5.       Every now and then, you just gotta buy yourself a Camaro.
6.       Always wear your lipstick and polish your toes, you never know who you’re going to meet.
7.       If you’re good at something and it benefits others, say ‘yes’ more often than you say ‘no’.
8.       Electronics purchases are based on how pretty the lights are.
9.       Wear a slip.
10.   Call when you get there.
11.   Whatever your creative self does, do it to make yourself happy.  Don’t worry about getting rich or famous, just do it for fun.
12.   There is no stopping point to the acquisition of jewelry (that one is really mine…)
13.   Plants are friends.
14.   Shoes are not friends.
15.   Dogs and cats are equals.
16.   Any recipe can be adapted.
17.   A good tan hides a lot.
18.   Every now and then, spending the entire Saturday with your best friend is just necessary.
19.   Kids are everything.  Until grandkids come along, and then there is a new category of everything.

20.   Pray without ceasing.

I love you, mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment