Sunday, November 10, 2013

Practicing What I Preach or How to Act Like a Grown-Up 11/10/13

"He hit me!"  "I did not!" "Yes, you did, your elbow hit me when you sat down!"  Mrs. McCarty then intervenes:  "If I accidentally stepped on your hand, would I say 'sorry' so, so quickly?"  Elbow child; "Yes...."  "Then say 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that' to her."  Elbow child, mumbling, head down; "I'm sorry."  Mrs. McCarty; "You didn't mean to do that, you're just saying you're sorry that it happened!  That's how we are nice to each other!"  Elbow child; nothing.

This happens at least once a week.  In elementary school, little accidental bumps and jostles can be interpreted by the 'victim' as a crime against themselves and all of humanity.  I always use myself as the example 'bad guy', because they know what my reaction would be. I'm so, so sweet and nice, and I would feel terrible if I stepped on their little hand (which does happen but only a couple times a year, so I have a great safety average!  And no serious injuries ever, thank goodness.)  By telling them to apologize for the fact that the mistake happened, I hope I'm teaching manners, maturity, responsibility, you name it.  The thing is.....can I practice what I preach with adults?

In the process of walking through my grief, I present what I consider a very 'normal' outside.  I work, laugh, joke, complain, suggest....all different from how I feel on the inside.  I hide the sadness by instinct.  It's not because of you that I hide it - it's because of me.  Sometimes I go a little further than I want in the 'normal'.  Evidently, one day, a while ago, I made a comment at lunch (based on a happening conversation, mind you...) that 'maybe there's someone out there for me'.  I didn't mean now.  I might not mean ever.  It was an offhand comment, in context of the conversation.  There was someone there, though, that took my words to heart.

This particular someone is on a totally different path, having been divorced for a long while, and recently seeing someone. A couple of weeks after my comment, this person seriously encouraged me to 'Go online, honey. Match.com, it worked for me.'  I kind of said "Oh really!" and turned the conversation back to my people at my table.  Later, I complained to friends.  That bothered me.  I was approaching only six months without him, how dare this person suggest such a thing right now?  After I complained, and got the sufficient amount of pity from my net  (what's a net?  read this and find out:  http://momastery.com/blog/2013/11/07/idea-title-im-even-sure-read-nets-well-call-nets/

I'm not on drugs, or bulimic, or getting arrested....and I have a net.  I am more fortunate than young Glennon.  I am also thankful that she has found her way in life and for her ability to inspire others.  So...I complained to my net about that 'insensitive remark', got my assurances that I was right, that person was wrong, and was done with it.  I mean, we love to complain to our friends and be assured that our view is the correct one, right?  It's a national sport! 

Well, it happened a second time.  The person had reached a milestone in their new relationship, and was obviously (and rightly) elated.  And once again, they took the chance to look at me and say 'Match.com, I'm tellin' ya, Ms. McCarty'.  OH!!!  I packed up what was left of my chips and yogurt and walked out.  I found some net people.  I told them, incensed.  I got pity and confirmation (Thank you net!)  And then, I realized.....for some reason, that person thinks that's OK, and this is going to keep happening unless I say something.  Boy, did that let the air out of my balloon.  I was going to have to address it, instead of complaining about it!  I knew that as soon as I asked the person to stop, they would totally apologize, maybe even feel badly about having done it, but I DIDN'T WANT to talk to the person.  I had turned into elbow kid!

It took two days.  I knew I had to, and I knew I wanted to do it privately.  I am the grown-up.  When by chance I finally said...."You know, I'm just not ready to hear that, the match.com thing.  Congratulations, so happy for you, but not me, not yet."  The person apologized, said 'of course'.....and brought up the time I said 'maybe there's someone out there for me'.  The person had taken me at my word.  My 'trying to be normal' conversation turned on me, said 'Oh, this is what you want, eh?' and then I had to be a grown-up and say "Sorry, but please don't..." because of my mistake of being fake.  I did it. I was the grown-up.  My net applauded me.  I, on the other hand, did not applaud myself, because I realized that my offhand comment had fed the whole situation. 


Where do I go from here?  If I am the grown-up I think I am, I guess I need to mix a little of my inner sadness in with my outer 'normal'.  The icy covering needs to break and mix with the deep dark cold water of sorrow, and form a slush that can create a completely different attitude from either 'fake' or 'hidden'.  I'm going to work on that.  It's the grown-up thing to do.


A little addendum:

What if I had gone to the person accusingly?  What if I had done it publicly?  Too many people these days don't understand the good manners of taking turns to talk things over, and listening to the other side.  Prime example: any 'political' news show where both parties or pundits that side with both parties are represented.  They all end up yelling and interrupting, guests and hosts alike.  I shudder to think that America bases its actions on what we see on the television.  One of my main problem with politics in any forum is the lack of manners.  How many families have talks about issues?  How many do it the grown-up way?  Do you listen and consider before you yell your defense?  I have news for everyone - you're not always right.  You're also sometimes only partially right.  If you don't listen to what the other side says, you're compounding, not solving the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment