Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Voice of Authority 7/30/13

It comes naturally to most teachers; that take-charge voice that can command a crowd.  If you're a very good teacher, it will simply sound authoritative and never sound like yelling.  There is an art to it!  As with any art form, some are more talented than others.  I want to make clear from the start of this post that I do not equate an authoritative voice with actual intelligence, necessarily.  (Except in my case, of course!)  Just because someone can speak as if they know what they are doing and know what is best for you, it "ain't necessarily so".

I speak loudly when necessary.  My sisters and I yelled a lot at growing up.  Not in a bad way, just.....LOUD!  We weren't obnoxiously loud in public (usually), but the house.....that was another story.  With three girls, there was a good bit of yelling that happened in the house.  It wasn't a large house, either.  We just got in a habit of yelling to each other across the house and it stuck.  Mama, the drama teacher, never had to tell us to project! So, I have to ability to speak very strongly. It's truly different from yelling, mind you, but still quite strong. (and a bit loud ;)  Using a strong speaking voice is an effective tool in the classroom, especially since I moved to Texas and teach anywhere from twenty to fifty children at a time! Here's a clarification for the rest of the story, however: speaking with authority does not have to involve a loud volume.  You can speak softly and project a quiet confidence that draws others to listen.  So don't think "loud", think "authority"!

The voice of authority has other uses besides the classroom.  Have you ever tried to return anything at a store?  I knew someone once that had to make up a complete story about why the item didn't work.  How ridiculous!  If you are within the return policy, I told that friend, you simply say "I'd like to return this, please.".  If you sound like you know what you're doing, 95% of the battle is already won.

I feel a little sorry for people that don't have the authority-voice. I have a former boss that has a real fear of microphones.  I also have several friends that think they can't speak in front of a crowd.  One, recently, just HAD to make the crowd laugh with her.  I think she made a joke about picturing all of them in their underwear, or naked....OK, maybe that works.  If the crowd laughs, they are with you - they are listening.  That's the point, right?  I believe everyone should have an authority-voice that they can use when necessary.

The voice of authority can make people behave - if used properly.  Once, at a gathering, one attendee had imbibed (!) a couple of glasses of wine, and was not listening to anyone.  I used my quiet voice of authority and said:  "Put your glass down, now."  Immediate compliance.  I won't lie - we gave several more commands to watch to whom the person would listen....turned out to be only me!  You can use the voice creatively and as entertainment.

Sometimes the voice of authority can save lives.  I heard a story from my children a few nights ago.  They went to a concert at which they had general admission "lawn seats".  The lawn at this venue is quite large, but was sold out for this particular event, therefore quite crowded.  A group of younger students was in front of my children and their friends.  One of the younger girls passed out.  Her friends phoned her mom, but just left her lying there until such time that the mom would arrive. My children, and all their friends, spoke up with the voice of authority and said "You need to get her to the paramedics, she is in danger!"  The younger group did not agree.  But my children and their friends stepped up to the occasion, carried the girl to the paramedics, by which time she obviously needed help and was taken in an ambulance.  My children and their friends did not know this girl, but they prevailed against her extremely immature friends and helped the young lady to medical attention.  In my mind's eye, I can hear my daughter using her authority-voice to tell those kids off.  (This has another moral, too - parents, please tell your children that their safety and well-being will always come before any "punishment".  Safety first, discussions about behavior later, because you love them!)

The most important use of an authoritative voice, however, is to advance you in school or career.  This is one of the main lessons I teach when students perform "programs" and receive a "speaking part".  If I can encourage a second-grader to speak clearly into a microphone, and then have that same child add emotion or comic timing by the time they are in fourth grade, I am giving them a valuable skill that will last a lifetime. I'm lucky enough to have seen many of them succeed as adults.  Only occasionally do they realize that Mrs. McCarty helped start them on their path to success, but that's all right, I still know where it all began!

I encourage you, when you know what you're talking about, speak out! Don't over-use the skill, find the balance.  Make sure you speak for fairness and good. Speak with authority! Only do so, though, if you are sure that you are correct. Be confident! When it comes the time to speak up for what is right against those that would do the wrong thing, be glad that you can use your authority for right to prevail.


"There is no index of character so sure as the voice."    Benjamin Disraeli

No comments:

Post a Comment