Saturday, December 14, 2013

I Want to Run With the Hobbit! 12/14/13

I saw the second installation of "The Hobbit" last night.  Yes, I'm a fan.  A regular fan, not a Comic-con level fan (although I have attended Comic-con, go figure!) I have read the book quite a few times during my life, including one time OUT LOUD, completely through,  to my children. I love Bilbo, the dwarfs, their escapades, Gandalf, Gollum, even Smaug.  Orcs and dragons are bad.  Hobbits, dwarfs and elves are good.  What's not to love?

What I love best, though, is the way that the characters that are small in stature think that they are setting out (in the beginning) to accomplish a small task, for themselves.  The dwarfs want their homeland back.  Bilbo simply wants to experience a little adventure.  However, since they have to cross the paths of other species, travel strange lands and awaken old rivalries, they end up being elevated to little heroes whose somewhat selfish endeavors could actually save their world from evil!
(My own liberal summation, apologies to Mr. Tolkien and all the experts.)

I sat through the opening of the movie, wondering why I didn't feel sad.  Last Christmas, our family of four saw the first one together.  There aren't too many occasions on which an entire family can see a movie adaptation of a book they have all read and loved.  We even saw it at a restaurant/cinema place, similar to the one we were at last night. But I didn't feel sad.  I have the 'he should be here' thoughts, but the atmosphere, being with my girls, the food.....the sadness was not able to attack.  I'm glad it wasn't, because it enabled me to enjoy the movie from the very opening, where I was completely inspired by two scenes. 

Near the beginning, the dwarfs, Bilbo and Gandalf have to run from the Orcs.  The director, Peter Jackson, (who is extremely passionate about bring these books to film - I suspect he is part hobbit...) takes advantage of the beautiful New Zealand countryside and shows a long shot of the whole group just running across a beautiful field backed by gorgeous mountains.  They must have acted the hell out of that running, because it got me.  I sat there thinking "I want to run with the hobbits!!"  A few scenes later, they cross some similarly gorgeous landscape, only this time on Beorn's stately horses.  Once again, I could only think, "I want to ride with them! Go, you dwarfs and hobbit, go!"

The dwarfs and the hobbit were running and riding away from evil Orcs, but they were also running with a purpose to accomplish some good.  They don't realize at that point in the story just how much good, and at what a cost, but they were running! They were riding horses, fast!  I am inspired to run to do my small good things.  I am inspired that if I do some small good in my life, that it might fit together like a jigsaw puzzle with others who do small good in their lives......and greater good can happen!

Almost everyone I know strives to do their own good each day.  I have been fortunate in life to always be able to surround myself with positive people.  I do know that we live in the real world, not Middle Earth.  But I hope that the good that we all put out there every day can make a difference.  Our enemy is not an evil sorcerer/wizard.  We all use our good to counteract neglect, meanness, hunger, poverty, disease, all those "bad" things in the world.  I'm glad I saw the dwarfs and hobbit running.  It gave me joy.  It had me cheering for the good guys.  And it let me know that small good can work together for bigger purposes.

Sometimes, though, I approach my day, my golden opportunity to put more 'good' out there, with a sigh.  I've had some good reasons, but I think it's time to try and run.  One sigh or one deep breath can help, but then it's time to run.  Time to smile, time to look and listen and encourage. That won't be easy every day, but it's worth a try.  I want to run with the hobbit - but since that's impossible, I will try to "run" to make my own small difference for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment